Q1. What documents do I need for open the cell-phone?
A. Basically you need “the Aliens registration certification” and your “bank account(bank book)”
Q2. What kinds of wire agencies are in Korea?
A. There are 3 agencies in Korea. SKT(SK telecome), KTF and LGT(LG telecome). SKT requests to foreigners extra 200,000won for warranty fee when they register. To use KTF’s service, credit card is positively necessary. But LGT doesn’t ask extra charge or other documents except 2 basic ones.
Q3. I heard that there’re many “Free” phones. Can I have that too?
A. Sure. But free phone connect with its contract. Most of contracts in Korea are for 2 years.(Basically 2years) If you contract for some determined rate system, you can get chosen phone for free.
Q4. Can I get the phone through Internet?
A. Well.. There are many websites that available to buy phones but foreigners only can get phone by off-line stores. And stores are classified by agency so please make sure to check what agency you prefer before enter the store.
Q5. I want use cell-phone only for a year. If so can I do 1 year contract?
A. First, it’s impossible. As I told you before, contracts are for basic 2 years. So you have to pay penalties. So there’s another choice. You can get “pre-paid phone” Below is brief of pre-paid phone.
l Pre-paid Phone.
- The biggest difference with normal phone is you should charge its rate before you use.
- But rate is quite expensive than other normal rate. (normal : 20won/10sec pre-paid : 62won/10sec –SKT / normal 18won/10sec pre-paid 65won/10sec – LGT)
- You can charge at determined agency store or by call-service. You should charge over 5,000won every 3 months. If there’s no balance message is sent to you.
- It can be very useful who mainly ‘get’ the phone and use for short time.
- You can buy pre-paid phone by internet (http://www.550mall.co.kr) or some offline stores in ITAEWON or ANSAN.